Design with Strategic Intent
Another good post by Jorge Arango. My notes:
- Designers rarely know what strategy is, or how to talk about strategy with stakeholders.
- Strategy is not a vision or a goal.
- Strategy is a set of actions (what we’ll do, and what we won’t do) in order to win or overcome a challenge.
- Design can help stakeholders make strategy tangible, and become valuable partners.
Questions to ask yourself about your strategy:
- What is our winning aspiration? (How does the world look like if we win?)
- Where will we play? Who are we serving? What channels will we use? What parts of the experience/value chain are we changing?
- How will we win? What’s unique about our approach compared to other attempts?
- What capabilities, skills and resources do we need to put in place? What activities need to be performed?
- What management systems are required? How will we deploy and maintain them?