Julie Zhuo has a popular article about the difference between junior and senior designers. Here are my takeaways:
- Junior: Haphazard, all over the place.
- Senior: There's method to the madness.
- Junior: Make it look as nice as possible.
- Senior: Deliver as much new value as possible.
- Junior: Understanding the problem seems easy, as does shipping a solution and iterating on it. The hardest part for junior designers is the "design" itself. Materializing & crafting that one idea you're going to deliver.
- Senior: The process gets progressively harder from problem to solution. Having ideas and executing them is easy and cheap, the hard parts are making sure you're delivering value at the end.